The Intention Behind the Books
Here you will find the details about the books intention I started in 2015.
This intention is vital for me and I plan to persevere in that purpose in the future.
Some Key Points
Spreading the Mongolian culture
Focused on popular Poems, Bogino Duu, Urtiin Duu, Magtaal, Domog, and Tuuli.
Build a collection, each volume containing around 25 texts, with a volume released every two years.
Mongolian Script, Cyrillic, English and French with context and explanations of specific words.
The idea behind this collection of books is to provide Foreigners and Mongolians with a touch of culture that tends to be forgotten. To portray the philosophy and lifestyle of Mongolian's ancestors is a formidable task. I intend to take on this challenge by sharing, explaining and translating songs and text that I feel represent those specific Mongolian's Traits.You can find detail about the first coming book's content here.
The Book Process
Some of you might be curious to know how the translation and explanation takes place. Here I share with you the main steps that need to be achieved to provide you with one finished text explanation and translation.
Explore markets or ask knowledgeable people in order to find old books, rare texts and ancestral pieces.
Analyze and cross check from different sources (Professor, Singer, Writer) in order to comprehend the deep and layered meaning of the texts.
Transpose back into the Original Mongol Writing, as nowadays, most texts are found in Cyrillic.
Translate from Mongolian to English and get a first draft.
Edit the first draft to assess the subject, structure, time and grammar of each verse (with my Mongolian teammate).
Compose the background context of the piece and add notes for the specific terms.
Improve the quality of the composition by making it more literary and recheck the grammar (with my American mate).
Check the English version again with my Mongolian mate and verify that the meaning is still accurate.
Who is involved?
I am not alone for this project and I'm deeply grateful to be surrounded with such talented people that believe in my goals and give me their time for free. This intention could not happen without them!
- For the Mongol Script and the comprehension of deep meaning: My beloved teachers: Батхүүгийн Амгалан (Amgalan Batkhuu), Жаргалсайханы Буяндэлгэр (Buyndelger Jargalsaihan), Гаанжуурсүрэнгийн Жаргалсайхан (Jargalsaikhan Gaajuusuren) , Нямаагийн Энхчимэг (Enkhchimeg Nyamaa).
- For the editing of the rough English translation: Пүрэвдоржийн Хишигдарь (Khishigdari Purevdorj) who studied Mongolian-Chinese linguistic as well as culture.
Also I wanna express my gratitude to Доржсүрэнгийн Очирдарь (Ochirdari Dorjsuren) who has been very supportive toward this project and Мөнхбаярын Хишигдэлгэр (Khishigdelger Munkhbayar) who helped me both with the first step of the rough English translation.
- For the English proofreading, Laura G. Wahba who is also a great harper interested in Mongolian culture.
- For the French proofreading, Cécile Strouk who accepted kindly to follow me in this adventure.
Finally, even tho they are not directly involved in the book, they are important people who always share their knowledge and support me.
- My Mongolian language teacher from Prime Bridge School Халзангийн Одончимэг (Odonchimeg Khalzan) and Шаравнямбуугийн Дэнсмаа (Densmaa Sharavnyambuu).
- One of my best and closest friend Robert McLaughlin who is a fervent admirer of Tuvan culture.
- My first Morin Huur teacher Сантарогийн Бүжигмаа (Bouzhigmaa Santaro) who keep sharing with me a lot of knowledge around legend, tradition and Morin Huur.
- Мөнхөөгийн Мөнхсайхан (Munhsaihan Munhuu) who taught me a lot about Morin Huur Crafting as well as history.
- The Hoomiich Цэрэндаваагийн Цогтгэрэл (Tsogtgerel Tserendavaa) from whom I got my first Morin Huur and who teaches me Hoomii. He also provides me with a lot of information about Magtaal, Legend, and Morin Huur.
- The Morin Huurch Доржнямын Шинэцог-Гени (Shinetsog-Geni Dorjnaym) who was my Morin Huur teacher for a year and share with me a lot of meaning around Morin Huur melodies as well as Morin Huur soul and feelings. I am deeply grateful for his teaching!
- For the Long Songs, Алтанцэцэгийн Нарандулам (Narandulam Altantsetseg) who's always there to give a hand and help me clarify the philosophy behind the words.
- The Morin Huurch Оюунбилэгийн Баттөгс (Battugs Oyunbileg), Дашзэвэгийн Мөнхсайхан (Munhsaihan Dashzeveg), Лхагваагын Мөнхжаргал (Munhjargal Lhagwaa) from whom I got lot of support and knowledge related to Morin Huur, Long Song, Tatlaga and Magtaal.
Funding & Revenues
The content of those books is for the people and I consider that it should be handled by the people. I believe in the power of self-publishing and self-funding.
35% of the sales will go to the people involved in the adventure and who helps me make this intention real. Also, it will cover the next publishing cost to avoid a call for crowdfunding.
15% of the sales will be invested in non-government organizations or in direct concrete projects to help with air pollution and access to clean water in Mongolia.
50% of the sales will go to help me keep moving forward and cover my life expenses such as food, apartment, and research.